M.Ed. (Masters Degree in Education) – Overview
This is a program for individuals who aspire to teach in Schools worldwide. Most statutory bodies in US, Canada and other countries require a degree in Education for teachers to be eligible to teach in Schools. They also insist on supervised Practicum hours that is part of the requirement of the curriculum of the degree program. Schools that follow the International Baccalaureate (IB) Curriculum or the IGCSE curriculum, need such a qualification. As the M.A Education offering from UNIVERSITY OF PASADENA includes a mandatory internship that carries credit, students graduating with this degree become eligible to teach. Moreover, the experience they get through this enhances their employability and career growth.
- Provide teacher education to those with or without a bachelor’s degree in education to enable them to become competent while continuously developing professionals as teachers and/or education administrators
- Inculcate the attitude and ability to evolve, through continuous self-study even while practicing the profession, as leaders in their chosen career
Completing this program are expected to achieve the following:
- Utilize the knowledge and training in educational theories, child psychology, human resource management and information technology in the practice of teaching and educational administration
- Design innovative curriculum and teaching/learning methodologies appropriate for the environment in which they practice
- Transact a trans-disciplinary, holistic curriculum effectively
- Display the people-skills and attitude needed to evolve to leadership positions in education
The program consists of 3 credit courses. Students will need to complete all the Graduate Core courses. They can choose electives in the area of their choice. They will need to complete a minimum of 36 credits. The following is the course break up.
All courses follow a 15-week delivery model where course objectives and outcomes for each week are thoroughly outlined and presented to students. Each course consists of the following elements:
- Multimedia Presentations
- Interactive Sessions with Faculty online
- Assignments including tasks, projects and activities that are graded manually by the professors
- Continuous Assessments (pop quizzes, mid-term tests, etc.)
- Final Exam
There will be a significant emphasis on the outcomes for each week. Assignments are focused on assessing the students’ capability of applying the knowledge gained and demonstrating their skills and abilities in specific areas
The capstone project/Research based project/thesis is the culminating experience of the student’s education program and provides students with the opportunity to apply and integrate their knowledge and skills gained. Students will take the responsibility to organize, plan and carry-out the various tasks required for successful completion of the project.
They are required to analyze and review student performance data and explore the impact of the various teaching and learning strategies on student achievement. The research project culminates with participants synthesizing the findings of their research in a written form such as thesis or project report.
Requirements for Capstone project:
- Identify the faculty advisor.
- Identify an appropriate title or problem statement.
- Submit the project proposal describing the project.
- Upon completion of the project submit the report.
- Online presentations of the capstone project through zoom to the faculty.
On completion of this subject, participants should be able to:
- Carry out a substantial research-based project
- Demonstrate capacity to improve student achievement, engagement and retention
- Demonstrate capacity to lead and manage change through collaboration with others
- Demonstrate an understanding of the ethical issues associated with practitioner research
- Analyze data and synthesize research findings
- Report research findings in written and verbal forms
- Use research findings to advance education theory and practice.
An internship is a requirement to share their experience that will aid them in their long-term professional development. It is a form of experimental learning that integrates knowledge and theory learned in the classroom with the practical application and skills development in a professional setting. The student gains valuable work experience and gratify requirements for a qualification.
Here are the requirements for Internship:
- The students should select the organization related to their career goal.
- Identify the Internship field supervisor.
- Identify a faculty.
- They should maintain an attendance record.
- Should submit a weekly report to their supervisor and faculty
- Student should get feedback from the faculty.
- Students should get feedback from the employer.
- Online presentations of the Internship through zoom to the faculty
On successful completion of the Internship, students will be able to
- Understand how the theory they learned in a classroom setting is applied in the real world.
- Learn to appreciate work and its function in the economy.
- Develop punctuality, work habits and attitudes necessary for a successful career.
- Develop interpersonal and other critical skills in the job interview process. Learn to work as a team.
- Build a record of work experience.