This course provides an understanding of the processes involved in manufacturing industries and includes a substantial module on quality management. Students are exposed to various aspects of manufacturing management including production design, planning, productivity, competitiveness, and location planning. Students learn about standard analytical tools for forecasting, inventory control, production schedules and allocating resources for operational effectiveness and efficiencies. The unit also introduces the concepts, advantages and implementation of just-in-time strategy in the context of supply chains.
Student Learning Outcomes
On successful completion of the course, students will be able to
- Design manufacturing plant layouts, process layouts, product layouts and assembly lines using lean manufacturing and other techniques
- Perform Production planning, sequencing and scheduling
- Handle purchase and manage inventory and material
- Apply Manufacturing Management techniques to improve productivity and efficiency and reduce cost
- Bring about Total Quality Management (TQM) using various quality management tools