This course is designed to provide students with a broad and conceptual foundation in civil engineering. The coverage includes measurements of distances, surveying, angles and leveling, and illustrative examples of land area calculation and land map development. Students are exposed to the various building components and structures and the requirements and significance of each of these components. They also learn about the various materials used in construction along with estimating the quantities of the required materials. This provides an exposure to building cost estimations as well. In addition to the all this, the basics of interior design and landscaping are covered.
Student Learning Outcomes
On successful completion of the course, students will be able to
- Choose the appropriate method to survey land
- Use measurements of distances, angles and leveling to perform land are calculations.
- Generate land maps which are an important prerequisite for constructions such as buildings, roads and bridges
- Choose the appropriate materials for constructions
- Decide on the construction materials to be used for various building components and structures
- Develop awareness to various aspects of building constructions including flooring, roofing, plastering and landscaping
- Estimate quantities of various materials required for construction
- Estimate costs for constructions